Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jeans Makeover

OK, so I've been a mom for a year now. The baby fat is gone, or at least has redistributed itself to new places. I officially have a "pooch" that I've been told is one of those war wounds that moms carry. I don't mind it, it's not that big and I don't wear tight enough clothing to let the world know that yes, I had a baby a year ago. HOWEVER, jeans season is around the corner. That time of year that every woman dreads; finding the "right pair of jeans." Most of us own 12 pairs, but only wear 2 on a regular basis and are on the prowl looking for the pair that is multi-functional and yet stylish. My list includes: must make my butt look good, not too tight around the waist, boot cut, able to pair with flip flops and boots, and did I mention making my butt look good? That's a tall order. I'm not like my younger sister who was born to look good in a paper bag. Seriously, she can wear anything. When you're 5'9" and have twig legs, dark thick hair, and work at a kayak store (ie in the sun, hauling boats all day = in shape, tan), you can pull off any pair of jeans. I somehow inherited hips and a booty on a 5'3" frame. Try finding a pair of jeans with those genetics. Now that there's a "pooch," this proposes a new problem....
What I need is a blend between the "mom" jean and the "skinny" jean. Love the idea behind the "mom" jean. Hides the pooch, loose, comfortable. All my mom friends know what I'm talking about, especially since you're probably sitting in a pair of sweat pants right now. Too bad their hideous. (I just realized I'm wearing a pink polo just like the woman in the orange. I need some rescuing).

But let's be honest, this is what I WANT to wear. Let me re-phrase, this is what I want to look good in. Not happening. Seriously, I think 10% of the population can pull this off, most of them under 18. Even my perfect sister-in-law doesn't like skinny jeans. She makes me feel better.

So I was listening to NPR the other day and heard this story on jeans and how Levi has come out with a new collection for Fall 2010. They have come up with something called the "curve ID: slight curve, demi curve, and bold curve." I especially love their tag line "All Asses Were Not Created Equal." That's for sure. If anyone ever needs a butt transplant, I have plenty to spare. You can watch the video and check it out yourself here. I'm certainly going to check this out because like most of my friends, it's time for a jeans makeover. Most of my jeans fall into two categories: too "momish" or too "trying to be 20 again." I'm sure everyone has a few pairs in their closets screaming the same thing. I'm excited about this jeans revolution and hope that maybe the holy grail is closer than I thought (we're all looking for holy grails in this house). Until then, I will continue to embrace the sweat pants and two pairs that I own that look just right for right now. Good thing it's still warm enough to wear capris. Now those were a great invention. Updates to come.

1 comment:

Lee Anne said...

Hey...Ann Taylor Loft and GAP sometimes have their "curvy" jeans too! I own one pair from the Loft and one from the GAP. My biggest problem with jeans is that the regular sizes are too long and the petite are too short...and I have to fit my butt in all of them! Skinny jeans are definitely for me either ;)